By: Haruki MurakamiI started this book at the very end of last year (see Print is Dead 2006), but found it a little slow compared to Murakami's other books that I've read (Kafka on the Shore and The Wind Up Bird Chronicles). However, I picked this up again for the plane ride home, and found an enjoyable read. Note, below may contain *SPOILERS*, but its not really the kind of book you read for the shocking revelations.
HBW & EotW is the story- or rather, two parallel stories, of a guy whose brain has has been partially sectioned off resulting in him living in the real world and a fantasy world at once. In the real world, he has the odd job of using his own mind to code and filter information. In his fantasy world, he is a dream-reader who abandons his shadow in order to release dreams from the skulls of unicorns.
The story, like the connections between his two worlds, is obscure but interesting. This book doesn't hold up quite as well to the epic struggle of a man searching for his cat that Murakami pulled off in Wind up Bird, nor does it hold the mystery of a boy running away from home as does Kafka on the Shore. Perhaps this one just tries to be a little too different?
It is important to note that the main character has lost his cat in this novel as well. That brings the total number of cats lost in Murakami books that I've read to 3. One in each, so far.
1 comment:
sounds like yet another intriguing Murakami premise. I may have to note this on my list.
as someone fairly introverted who HAS lost her cat, being forced to go out into your surrounding neighbourhood can be like an adventure. so I can see why this device would appeal to Murakami. but 3X is getting a bit much.
Post a Comment