I have a huge backlog of stuff I read over the summer. So reviews for the time being are going to be short and sweet- otherwise i'll go on neglecting this blog.
The "roadmakers" were a prehistoric civilization that left massive cities and roads behind, but no evidence of how their incredible technology worked, or where they went. When one of their books shows up unexpectedly - Mark Twain's "Connecticut Yankee", an expedition to find their lost library - hopefully with answers about the lost civilization is launched.
The book doesn't try to hide the mystery of who the roadmakers were- McDevitt tells an engaging tale as always, but the book feels like it could have been more 'epic' if it wasn't confined to a single character's POV and limited timeline. I'm a big fan of his work, but it can be hit and miss- this one is the first that is neither 'hit' nor 'miss', just ok.
Grade: B
Recommendation: Engines of God is a must read. This one can be somewhere further down your McDevitt collection.
2 comments:
But this does sound like a post-apocalyptic setting, no?
Short and sweet is fine. I'm still enjoying seeing what you've been reading.
Thanks OF. Yes, ER is a PA setting, and not a bad one at that. It just seems to have a sort of lightweight quality that could have been more epic. Enjoyable book though.
Post a Comment