By: Tom WolfeThis is the second book that I found in the beach house to add to my summer reading list. Anything written before 1980 in paperback or before 1950 in hardback is acceptable to be left to occupy beach house bookcases.
Have to admit- I've always meant to read this book, and it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Not that its not great to have such a close first hand account of the Merry Pranksters and now I feel as if I knew Ken Kesey personally, but there was something about the writing that just seemed false to me. Perhaps if I wasn't familiar with Tom Wolfe and some of his modern somewhat conservative opinions, and ultra conservative dress, I wouldn't have noticed. But it was weird to read a book that is so lyrical and free from the same guy who wears a collar that is taller than the remainder of his shirt- and the most recent article I've read by him was a diatribe against multiculturalism.
So I'm biased. Anyway, I think that's what made the book ring false for me in some kind of 30 years later retrospect. He talks the talk, but because he never mentions his role in the exploits of the pranksters (and maybe there were none, but I find that hard to believe because this group didn't seem like the kind that would let anyone 'sit one out')- it seems more like imitation than engagement. That being said however, its a rich piece of history that gives a lot more insight and depth to a different generation.
No comments:
Post a Comment