Monday, August 20, 2007

37. Ancient Shores

By: Jack McDevitt

McDevitt is a master of writing engaging, suspenseful, science fiction that never falls outside of a reasonable suspension of disbelief. He also likes archeaology and works it into his novels quite well. Now all he needs is a publisher who will provide him with some decent cover art. Look at this book! What junky typeface! Whats with the 1980's Grace Jones haircut? Who put a red and yellow title on a gray book with a splash of green and purple in between?

Honestly, I wouldn't even have picked this up if I hadn't noticed "Author of Engines of God" in the little print under his name.

I had picked up Engines of God, McDevitt's debut novel, a few years back when it first came out. I knew nothing about it (and the cover was slightly less appalling), but whatever bookstore I was at was highlighting it because he had just done a big signing.

Anyway, I picked it up, and tore through it- Engines of God was a brilliant story about archeology in the future, as an ancient mysterious alien civilization is uncovered. Absolute page turner from beginning to end, highly recommended. I had lent the book out at some point, and forgotten the author's name, and he'd fallen off my radar- it seems that he's written a few books in the intervening years!

Ancient Shores is almost as good. Great story, engaging from the beginning, and while the ending isn't bad, its a little bit clunky- and it veers in a slightly less interesting direction than the book would previous indicate.

The story opens as a farmer and his son dig up a small triangular object on their farm that reveals a larger yacht... only there hasn't been a lake for sailing in the vicinity for 10,000 years- and the boat is in perfect condition.

2 comments:

OlmanFeelyus said...

Intriguing! I'll keep my eyes open for these books.

dsgran said...

do! I just found out that he's got a whole series that begins with Engines of God. I'm going to re-read that and get the other ones when I get back - that would be a good place to start!