Monday, August 27, 2007

39. American Born Chinese

By: Gene Luen Yang

ABC is a fantastic combination of three separate stories, the myth of the monkey king, a teenager who is troubled by his cousin "Chin-Kee" the embodiment of chinese stereotype, and a young boy uncomfortable with his identity. Wonderfully conceived, the stories are simple and humorous, and yet reflect and play off each other in a surprising manner.

Although this isn't an autobiography, its great reading to follow Persepolis and Blankets as a graphic novel about identity. Add in Art Spiegelman's Maus and you've got enough a nice little series of personal tales in graphic novels- A girl growing up in Iran during the revolution, a man struggling through the holocaust (and later a son in America who is trying to relate to him), A young man struggling with hypocrisies and abuses in middle America, and a Chinese American struggling to decide who he is.

1 comment:

meezly said...

nice! I read ABC last year, but didn't include it in my 2006 blog reviews (or did I? can't recall).

anyway I liked it too!